Arsenous oxide was once used as a rodenticide and in sheep dips. It is no longer approved for use in most countries due to its toxicity to humans and the environment. Arsenous oxide is highly toxic to all mammals, is a carcinogen, a reproduction toxin and highly corrosive. It is quite soluble in aqueous solution but practically insoluble in most organic solvents. It is also toxic to most fauna and flora.
The following alerts are based on the data in the tables below. An absence of an alert does not imply the substance has no implications for human health, biodiversity or the environment but just that we do not have the data to form a judgement.
Ecotoxicity Moderate alert: Fish acute ecotoxicity: Moderate; Fish chronic ecotoxicity: Moderate; Daphnia acute ecotoxicity: Moderate; Daphnia chronic ecotoxicity: Moderate
Warning: Significant data are missing
Human health High alert: Mammals acute toxicity: High; Carcinogen; Reproduction/development effects
Used, historically, in sheep dips
Considered obsolete but may be available in some countries
Lewis, K.A., Tzilivakis, J., Warner, D. and Green, A. (2016) An international database for pesticide risk assessments and management. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment: An International Journal, 22(4), 1050-1064. DOI: 10.1080/10807039.2015.1133242