Collation, review and analysis of data and literature
AERU have extensive experience collating, analysing and synthesising knowledge and data. The availability of reliable, up to date knowledge and data is essential for both the research community and the agricultural and horticultural industries, if sound operational decisions are to be made. Through our work in the agri-environment sector AERU has undertaken numerous state-of-the-art reviews of literature on a broad range of topics and collated and stored an extensive data on numerous topics including: greenhouse gas emissions; carbon sequestration; ecosystem services; biodiversity; pesticides; nutrient use; soils and water. Coupled with AERU's extensive IT skills (e.g. developing databases) AERU are highly capable of undertaken projects that require collation and analysis of large datasets. AERU have undertaken numerous projects which have required this capability (see below).
Skills and services encompass the following:
- Data collation, quality assessment and screening
- Systematic and extensive literature reviews
- Rapid evidence appraisals
- Tzilivakis, J., Warner, D., Green, A., & Lewis, K.A. (2021). A broad-scale spatial analysis of the environmental benefits of fertiliser closed periods implemented under the Nitrates Directive in Europe. Journal of Environmental Management, 299: 113674. DOI.
- Tzilivakis, J., Green, A., Warner, D.J and
Lewis, K.A. (2020) Identification of approaches and measures in
action programmes under Directive 91/676/EEC. Final report. Report
prepared for Directorate-General Environment, European Commission, for
project ENV.D.1/SER/2018/0017 by the Agriculture and Environment
Research Unit (AERU), University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. [Download].
- Lewis, K.A. & Tzilivakis, J. (2019). Wild bee toxicity data for pesticide risk
assessments. Data, 4(3): 98. DOI
- Lewis, K.A. and Tzilivakis, J. (2019) Implementation of the
evidence-based risk assessment for the re-evaluation of Bisphenol A: preparatory
work on cross-sectional studies. European Food Safety Authority, Parma,
- Lewis, K.A. and Tzilivakis, J. (2019) Inventory and synthesis of
the biological and toxicological data received in response to the call for data
on sweeteners. European Food Safety Authority, Parma, Italy.
- Lewis, K.A. and Tzilivakis, J. (2019) Review and synthesis of
data on the potential environmental impact of artificial sweeteners.
European Food Safety Authority, Parma, Italy.
- Lewis, K. & Tzilivakis, J. (2017). Development of a data set of pesticide
dissipation rates in/on various plant matrices for the Pesticide Properties
DataBase (PPDB). Data, 2(3), 28. DOI
- Lewis, K.A., Tzilivakis, J., Warner, D. & Green, A. (2016). An international
database for pesticide risk assessments and management. Human and Ecological
Risk Assessment: An International Journal, 22(4): 1050-1064. DOI
- Tzilivakis, J., Warner, D.J., Green, A., Lewis, K.A. & Angileri, V. (2016). An
indicator framework to help maximise potential benefits for ecosystem services
and biodiversity from ecological focus areas. Ecological Indicators, 69:
- Lewis, K.A., Tzilivakis, J., Green, A., Warner, D.J., Naseby, D., Stedman, J.A.
and Chilcott, R.P. (2015) Preparatory work to support the re‐evaluation of
botanically defined feed flavouring additives. EFSA Supporting
Publications, 12(2), 760E. DOI:
- Lewis, K.A., Tzilivakis, J., Green, A. & Warner, D.J. (2015). The potential of
feed additives to improve the environmental impact of European livestock
farming: A multi-issue analysis. International Journal of Agricultural
Sustainability, 13(1): 55-68.
- Lewis, K.A., Madden, A., Tammam, J., Tzilivakis, J. &
Vafeiadou, K. (2014). Final
evidence report as part of preparatory work for the setting of Dietary Reference
Values for magnesium, copper, and phosphorus. EFSA project
report for NP/EFSA/NUTRI/2014/01 Lot 2.
- Lewis, K.A., Madden, A., Tammam, J., Tzilivakis, J. & Vafeiadou, K. (2014). Final evidence report as part of preparatory
work for the setting of Dietary Reference Values for sodium and chloride. EFSA
project report for NP/EFSA/NUTRI/2014/01 Lot 3.
- Tzilivakis, J., Lewis, K.A., Green, A., Warner, D.J., Stedman, A. & Naseby, D.
(2013). Review of substances/agents that have direct beneficial effect on the
environment: Mode of action and assessment of efficacy. EFSA Supporting
Publication 2013:EN-440. European Food Safety Authority, Parma, Italy.
- Tzilivakis, J., Lewis, K., Green, A., Warner, D., Fialkiewicz, W., Olearczyk,
D., Bordet, C. & Langevin, B. (2013). Optimal Design of Climate Change
Policies Through the EU's Rural Development Policy: Final Report to the European
Commission. European Commission, Brussels.
- Tzilivakis, J. (2011). The climate change mitigation potential of an EU farm:
towards a farm-based integrated assessment. European Commission meeting of
agri-environment correspondents, Brussels, Belgium, 18 March 2011.
- Tzilivakis, J., Lewis, K.A., Green, A., Warner, D.J., MacMillan, T & McGeevor,
K. (2011). Effective approaches to environmental labelling of food products.
Final Report for Defra Project FO0419. January 2011.