Dr John Tzilivakis BSc MSc
PhD PIEMA MIAP
Reader in Agricultural and Environmental Systems
Tel.: +44 (0)1707 285259
John has been a member of
AERU staff since 1995. During that time he has been involved in
numerous projects related to agriculture, the environment and
sustainability in the UK and across Europe. His
work has included the development and application of environmental
assessment techniques and metrics; software applications, databases and
websites; and knowledge transfer tools. His work often involves taking
a holistic systems perspective and integrating environmental, economic
and social assessments which is essential for developing sustainable
agricultural and land management systems.
John has an BSc in
Agroforestry from the University of Wales, Bangor, an MSc in Ecological
Design from the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen, a PhD from the
University of Hertfordshire, is an IEMA (Institute of Environmental
Management and Assessment) Practitioner, and is a Member of the
Institution of Analysts and Programmers.
Before joining AERU in 1995
John was a Researcher at the World Resource Foundation now known as
Residua. There he worked on projects related to sustainable waste
management. These included the use of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) in
waste management and the public perception issues.
Recently completed projects
- Mondière, A., Tzilivakis, J., Warner, D.J., van der Werf, H.M.G., Farruggia, A., Glinec, O. & Corson, M.S (2022). An improved indicator framework to assess and optimise ecosystem services provided by permanent grasslands. Ecological Indicators, 146, 109765. DOI.
- Tzilivakis, J., Warner, D., Green, A., & Lewis, K.A. (2021). A broad-scale spatial analysis of the environmental benefits of fertiliser closed periods implemented under the Nitrates Directive in Europe. Journal of Environmental Management, 299: 113674. DOI.
- Lewis, K., Rainford, J., Tzilivakis, J., & Garthwaite, D. (2021). Application of the Danish Pesticide Load Indicator to UK arable agriculture. J Environ Qual.: 1-13. DOI.
- Tzilivakis, J., Green, A., Warner, D.J. & Lewis, K.A. (2020). Identification of approaches and measures in action programmes under Directive 91/676/EEC. Final report. Report prepared for Directorate-General Environment, European Commission, for project ENV.D.1/SER/2018/0017 by the Agriculture and Environment Research Unit (AERU), University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. [Download].
- Tzilivakis, J., Green, A., Warner, D.J. & Lewis, K.A. (2020). Identification of approaches and measures in action programmes under Directive 91/676/EEC. Final report: Annex A: Comparison of implementation and environmental characterisation of NAP measures. Report prepared for Directorate-General Environment, European Commission, for project ENV.D.1/SER/2018/0017 by the Agriculture and Environment Research Unit (AERU), University of Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. [Download].
Tzilivakis's extended publications
Link to UH profile page